Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Home sweet home

Well usually after a great holiday its easy to get down. You have to go back to routine, work, cook, clean etc etc...........For me I dont care about the previous three pointers made because.....r u ready........its snowing!!!!!!!!! Snow....its set on all the cars, its white everywhere, no nice to see! So I am all happy again, I have been waiting all winter, and here I finally get it...in Luton of all places!

So I dont quite know where I left things last time, so I will pick up from Red Light District Amsterdam. Took as a while to find, cause the map we had, and the directions given to us were useless......but we found it. I must say I was expecting more from it. Maybe as it wasnt high tourist season, there weren't many people....but it was still a site to see. Buildings all along the canals with girls dancing in the windows, multiple floors, multiple buildings! ha ha

After our little wonder through there we carried onto to an area near central station, which was also very touristy. Many people approached Sam (haha to him), in a sly fashion, to offer cocaine....was very different to see I must say. Along with all the 'coffee shops' you get a real feel for Amsterdam......and the difference in laws....haha

Anyway after a few hours of walking, we finally made it back to the hostel, had a broken sleep due to more snorers in the room! Breakfast was quite impressive I must say, considering he cost of the place, so we thought we would eat to carry us through the day. The gingerbread load was the highlight might I add. Anyway then we decided to go and get our bikes for the day...so off we went. The lady at the bike hire place became obsessed with the Aboriginal flag in gold on the front of our passports......we thought that was all a bit weird, but each to their own I guess.

The bikes were typical Dutch bikes.....high handle bars, think wheels, high seat, basic frame......I dunno if that makes any sense, but its not a mountain bike, put it that way. Took us a bit of getting used to, especially adapting to road rules regarding bikes, how to turn, which direction etc, but he had a ball. We rode around for hours, stopping at markets, look at interesing buildings etc etc....It was so cold that ur face and fingers became numb. The puddles on the paths were ice!!!! Thats how stupidly cold it was......but lucky I had my jacket! So I survived.

Highlights for the day included: taking a photo with the 'I amsterdam' sign, the ice-skating rink outside the Reijks museum, almost getting hit by trams, cars and other cyclists etc etc. My best memory of the day was riding through one of the parks, going at our own pace, riding side by side, when I decided to start singing 'do-a-dear' (sound of music for those who dont know), must to sam's disgust. Ha hs I had so much fun, was a perfect picture.

Anyway we ended up returning the bikes, having dinner there and flew home.........now back in Luton......where if u had forgotten...its SNOWING......yay!!!

Photos will be coming up tomorrow, too busy watching the tennis at the moment (go clijsters, boo hingus).

But must run off to bed, its 3:36am.....not bed yet infact, more tennis, but must not type anymore!

Bye bye xx

No comments: